Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anniversary Memories...



One cold February day (during the love month) many years ago, the hubby and I were happily married, albeit during the middle of a chilly and severe winter snow storm.


Since that memorable day, we have celebrated sixteen (almost 17) years of bliss.


Now, as I look back over those "sweet sixteen" years, I see the error of my decision...

NO, not the GROOM -- but the decision to be married a mere 7 days after Valentine's Day. Due to the close proximity of our Anniversary, the celebration of the Valentine's Day is constantly overshadowed and vica versa.


In other words, 2 holidays for the price of 1. Basically I've been jipped all these years.


Because we have always been a practical couple and giving extravagant gifts for either occasion was usually not in our budget, we have always celebrated in a rather simple fashion... a new pair of socks, a romantic card with heartfelt handwritten words of love and adoration (which the hubby has compared to giving birth), and sometimes a special dinner at home WITH the kids.



This was the typical pattern of celebration until Feb 2008, when we reached our "fabulous fifteen" anniversary.


(Actually it really started with our celebration of "unlucky thirteen" which is an entire post in and of itself -- and if I ever blogged about it should be titled "Best Dam Anniversary Ever!" Curious?)


We decided that this was the year (#15) we were going make up for the past. The sky was the limit. No expense was to be spared (well, ok maybe just a little limit) in chosing a gift that showed the other how much we really cared.



His Gift to ME...




That's right!! He booked a 5 day Western Carribean Cruise with a group of our friends and by doing so knocked me right off my feet, again. The cruise was absolutely fabulous and incredibly memorable (so easy to get addicted to cruising!)


It was like... A 2nd HONEYMOON!!




My Gift to HIM...



Can you get it in one guess...





Perhaps this will help...








You got it!! I bought two burial plots in the city cemetery -- right smack dab next to each other. (Just between us - I think he was something beyond surprised, like maybe shocked!)



Now nothing says "I Love You, FOREVER" like matching burial plots, AND although I got a lot of flack for this well-thought out gift, you have to admit that we will NEVER FORGET our amazing 15th wedding anniversary.

(nor will I ever forget walking into the city office loudly announcing that I needed to buy 2 cemetary plots, causing the receptionist to gasp, place her hand to her chest and ask, "Oh my dear, has something happened?" I replied with a smile and a nod of the head, "Just my 15th anniversary!")


So... When our 16th anniversary came around in 2009 we simply had to come up with something that would "out do" the previous one.

Be sure to stick around for the next dozen posts because I'm going to show you what we did, one incredible day at a time.


It's going to be AMAZING!!!!

4 comments:

Joy said...

I love it and I look forward to seeing you posts of your most fabulous trip!

Jen said...

You are so funny!! I have to say your gift will be easy to up this year but his I will be wanting to see!! Thank you for the laugh:) Plots that is the best!!

Mindy Hill said...

Oh I can't wait!!!!! And I am SO glad you are back....I have dearly missed my "virtual friend". I swear, when I am done with this foot thing that we are going to get to know one another more. It's our destiny, I just know it! :)
P.S. Can I start calling you the "come back kid"? You sure know how to do it RIGHT!

Shauna said...

I didn't realize how much I missed your blog entries until I read this one. Nice to have you blogging again! Hope that you post again soon!